Do you care about climate justice issues?
Are you a Bristol-based young creative aged between 18-30?
PLEASE SEE OPPORTUNITY BELOW!
My name is Joe, a young composer, performing musician and interdisciplinary artist based in Bristol. I’m currently developing a socially and environmentally focused creative project at the Pervasive Media Studio. It’s aiming to promote greater awareness of different cultures relationships to green space and the accessibility of these spaces, through an experience that also encourages sustained engagement with green/restorative spaces in Bristol. Participatory making is fundamental to the project, with every step of the development process facilitating creative opportunities for the community. The project seeks to particularly involve those, who for a plethora of reasons, don’t currently engage with the green spaces in Bristol.
My project thinks about the following 3 questions:
- What if the trees of Bristol have been recording lost stories, conversations and thoughts, and somehow embedded these stories in their rings?
- What if we could access these different stories captured over the lifetime of a tree to hear underrepresented ideas and stories around how we view and engage with nature and green space in our cities?
- What if we could listen to these stories in a way that directly encouraged us to make use of the city’s green spaces, and reap the benefits that come from doing so in an accessible manner?
I am currently assembling a group of Bristol-based diverse young creatives (18-30 yrs.) to collaborate on this project, resulting in the creation of a smartphone app that’s been developed through participatory creative engagement. The project is comprised of two main parts:
- Participatory creation sessions with members of under-represented and/or undervalued communities throughout Bristol. This will result in artistic works being made by the participants to be used in the second part of the project. This stage will also result in ‘sharings’ of some kind, taking place in local green spaces in Bristol.
- The second part of the project weaves the responses created by the participants into an interactive and locative media-scape app for smartphones.
I am seeking young artists to be involved in the development and delivery of both parts of the project. I’m looking for people who are passionate about climate justice and inequality issues related to accessing and interacting with nature. Collaborators would need to be willing to help facilitate creative workshops/activities with groups of people. Previous experience in this is not necessary. I will be applying for funding, so all time will be paid for fairly. The project is still in early stages, as it began under lockdown in April 2020. I am aiming to run part 1 of the project in the summer of 2021, with development taking place over winter 2020/spring 2021.
I’m particularly interested in collaborating with those with experience in:
- Poetry + spoken word
- Social-history research
- Software/app developing
- Participatory creativity
But please still get in touch if you feel like you have something to offer and are passionate and want to know more.
If you feel like you have something to offer and would like to be involved, please fill out this short expression of interest form.
If you have any questions, please contact me at: firstname.lastname@example.org